The other day I was amusing myself reading about people sewing all these wonderful clothes and thinking how much I would like to make something lovely myself if only I had some fabric. And then I came across this post about making an 18th-century pocket, and decided to make one immediately.
Thankfully I had a bit of lovely muslin on hand, so I used that. I folded it in half and drew the shape I wanted, and then cut it out.
I had never done any sort of embroidery before, but I thought it would be awfully fun to try. So I just sort of made up a design as I went. It is very humble indeed, and I would prefer if it looked a bit less like a cactus, but I think it's sort of pretty.
Sewing it together was lots of fun. I had never done much hand-sewing, but I was determined not to use the modern sewing machine on this project, and it didn't take so long since it was just a pocket. I took Elizabeth's advice from the post I mentioned and doubled the front piece, so as not to snag the embroidery.
After I sewed the pieces together I cut a slit down the middle. I wish I would have cut a longer slit, because I can barely fit my hand through the opening. Oh, well. Next time.
Then I covered the edges with a strip of the same fabric.
And then I sewed a lovely green ribbon on the top to tie it around my waist, and it was finished! I am quite pleased with my pocket, funny thing that it is. I haven't worn it yet, it doesn't work as well with today's clothing. Not that I wear today's clothing, but never mind that. Anyway, I hope you have been somewhat amused by the story of my pocket, and I encourage you all to go make pockets of your own.:)