Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Edwardian Gorgeousness

 

There's nothing like the 1900-1910s. It's just such a  wonderfully glamorous and romantic period. I think of it as being such a  peaceful time, before the war. I imagine many people looked back to it as such. It paints a very pretty picture in my mind.   

Edwardian era hairstyles seem to portray very well the extravagance and utter romanticism of the period. I haven't attempted these elaborate coiffures much in the past, but my fascination has led me to do some research, and I am beginning to understand how someone could possible create such magnificence.


From what I've read and seen, there was quite a variety of styles and shapes in this period. Naturally women tried to were the shapes that were most flattering on them. I read somewhere that one's nose had a great deal to do with what shape one's hair should be.

Here are some of my humble attempts:






(Excuse the blurriness)


I haven't used rats, as you can see these aren't that big and pouffy. For the top two I twisted some hair into a long, flat bun, leaving some hair below it and on the sides, which I then pulled over it to do some twisty thingies. For the pompadours I twisted and pinned hair around the head in whatever shape I thought flattering, and pulled the rest of the hair over it to make the bun. Here is a picture of what I did beneath Mary's bun:


I know it looks strange, but from the research I've done I think people did things like this. As you can see, Mary's pompadour is not even that big, and her hair is very long and thick, so I understand how useful rats must have been. 


I'm sure some people used curling tongs of some sort, but it seems to have been acceptable for hair to be any natural texture. Waves or curls may or may not have been more desirable. I think general pouffiness is what was desirable.




I hope you enjoyed this post, dear readers! Have a lovely day!






4 comments:

Natalie said...

I LOVE the Edwardian era and the pictures you featured are sooo pretty! And wow-your attempts are very good! Much better than how I could do it! I think my favorite of your styles is the 4th one. Very Anne Shirley-ish. :)

Hamlette said...

I love tendrils and buns and little bits of wispy hair curling around a face -- your attempts are great!

Hamlette said...

BTW, I've tagged you over on my blog, here. Play if you want to!

Olivia said...

Just to let you know, I've tagged you over here: http://meanwhileinrivendell.blogspot.com/2015/05/10-favorite-screen-characters-tag.html Don't feel any pressure to complete it if you'd rather not, though:)